Thursday, September 8, 2016

Cryptomining malware on NAS servers – is one of them yours?

Mining Cryptocoin

Say what? Cryptomining, never heard of it. I vaguely know what Bitcoin is, an online currency. Bitcoin is known as the first cryptocurrency . Honestly, today was the first time I have either term "coined", get it? I have to cut back on my youtube cartoon watching apparently. So bitcoin is a digital currency aka Geek Coin to me, that can't be taxed or regulated and the Users are anonymous, so it tends to attract criminals. So, you can buy bitcoin on an exchange or you can earn it cryptomining it. Which is getting people to use their computer's to perform cryptographic calculations  until they "mine a bitcoin. Some ingenious criminals created cryptomining malware that essentially hijacks computers to form a cryptomining botnet to increase the amount of bitcoins they can get. Its amazes me how so many people have so much time for these shenanigans, but it must be a job or career for some.

No comments:

Post a Comment